Monday, March 8, 2010

Tempus Agit



Now is my master. While riding the jeep on the way to work, looking at the passing people hurrying to get to their offices, I realized that I am enslaved by the idea that TODAY might be the only chance I have. I am so engrossed with the fear that constantly thinking/preparing for the future shortchanges me with my experience of now. 

That is likely the reason why I hate waiting. Waiting is always the anticipation of something that hasn't come yet. It's postponing certain decisions in lieu of something grand to come along the way. But in an age of pro-activity and self-empowerment, waiting leaves you powerless in the hands of the unforeseeable future. Of course, while we've arranged the world to comfortably be predictable most of the time, the possibility of a surprising turn of events still lies there somewhere, ready to pounce on you when you least expect it.

Everyone has heard sad stories about people who believed tomorrow offered a better promise than today: that mister who grinds himself to the ground saving up for the future until a sudden accident kills him. Or that lady who pines for her husband who went missing -- staying loyal until the end because she had faith he would show up one day. The poor people who grin and bear the sufferings they endure because they hope that the heavens see their plight and will give them their just rewards, whether in this lifetime or the next. 

While we appeal to probability and hope that there is a bright and better future reserved for us, who knows what the future really holds? All I know is that now is the only tangible thing. The future is a concept that might not even arrive for me. Yes, my senses delude me, my emotions deceive me, but rationality isn't what makes me human. Experiences shape who I am -- and these highs in life that I pursue, while fleeting and ephemeral, are what give me meaning and make my life worthwhile.

HOWEVER, while fear drives me to create the maximum human experience for today, fear also feeds me thoughts of having nothing tomorrow. Thus I am torn apart between the now and the future. I feel like I am St. Anthony in Martin Schongauer's engraving being pulled from all sides by these demons of time. I really should find balance and learn to serve two masters. 

No comments: